"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

And finally...

I forgot that today was Hallowe'en until a couple of people walked past me in costume on Granville Street this morning. Props to people that were dressed up in downtown Vancouver at 8:30am.
Had a fun day at work. One of my coworkers wrote "The devil rocks. Satan #1" on a name tag and affixed it to my shirt. He then told me I was the "devil's advocate". I thought it was funny, but had to explain it about 10 times and a lot of people were perplexed.
Came home (which shall only be home for seventeen more days!) and was happy to see some kids wandering around the neighbourhood dressed up. I think Hallowe'en is for kids. I think if I had kids I would be significantly more excited about the day itself, but when you're an adult it's just an excuse to have a party, drink too much and dress up like a French maid. Which I have never done. I was Little Bo Peep once, including a staff to herd my sheep upon which I dangled a little stuffed lamb. It was a cool costume, except my bosom was not sufficiently adequate to fill out the bodice. And it had a giant hoop skirt and when I would sit down it would sort of flip up so, you know, Paris Hilton has nothing on me.
And as I walked home I wondered: would my super nice neighbours with the little toddler leave something on my door as they seem to on various holidays. And yes, they did. And yes, I am a bad and unfriendly neighbour. In fact, it was a bigger Hallowe'en haul than last year: and this year I don't have to share it! To attempt to even out this grotesque karmic imbalance I think I will ask them if they want some of my old toys to give to their little girl. It would make me happy to give them as much as they would like.
And finally. Getting off POF. No, there was no weirdness with the guy at work, although I must say I did strenuously avoid eye contact with him. What I want isn't on POF.
Plus, there was the guy who viewed my profile and had this written on his: "And all the while you're just really wondering, are we gonna get hopped up enough to make some bad decisions? Perhaps play a little game called "just the tip". Just for a second, just to see how it feels. Or, ouch, ouch you're on my hair."
Wow. Just, you know, wow.

No comments: