"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Books are heavy

Bibliophiles must hate moving. And I bought a bunch of books less than a month ago. And my mom was going to throw out the Norman Mailer "Marilyn" book. I was like, "Um, that's worth money. Plus it's Marilyn Monroe. Gimme. And quit stiffing me on the cookies,".
Yes. Went to the UBC Sports Injury clinic. There was a woman's soccer game in progress. Shit got competitive since I was ten. It was interesting sitting in the waiting room of a clinic where you know everyone is there because they've injured themselves on the job or playing a sport. It's a far cry from a regular walk-in clinic, where you play the fun game known as what-the-hell-does-that-guy-have, and where, many years ago, I had to go for the morning after pill which came with a verbal reprimand from a guy older than my father who thought that a hungover nineteen year old girl who had sex for all the wrong reasons scant hours before could do with another heaping of societal bias and Christianity-based guilt. Douchebag.
Where was I? Right, the clinic. Long story short: more cross training; special exercises; less running and I have to check in in a few weeks. If I'm still suffering we'll go to plan B. I was like, "Okay yeah, but I want to start training for the Vancouver marathon and then I want to go to Boston in 2009," and he's like, "Right. And it hurts when you run eleven kilometres? Why don't you back it off to say eight,". Eight. Right. Eight. Eight = square one. Suck it up, Duder.
Then some good and bad news from a close friend. The good news was great and I'm so happy for her. The bad news is shit, and she feels like it right now. She knows it's temporary and that this too shall pass, but in the interim she feels like we all do when things don't work. Why? What did I do wrong? All the signals seemed to be there. What if I had tried harder? How long was this in the works for? Did he ever care, or was I more of a convenience than a potential love? Fun questions that do wonders for one's self esteem.
Hm, this is all rather heavy. The good news? Tomorrow's Friday. That kicks ass. "And I kick, and I kick, and I kick again..."

No comments: