"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Well being

I was pretty sure that well being came after the second glass of Sauvignon Blanc, but apparently it can be found - in sticker form - on an elevator. Yes. Where do I live? I got on the elevator and a gentleman encouraged me to choose one of many random stickers that he told me that he likes to hand out to people throughout the course of the day. Mine said, "well being". That's good. It's not hoping for too much. It wasn't, say, "extreme pleasure" or "unbelievable riches" or even "all consuming love". Well being. It's... what is it? Well being. Being well. Am I well? I think I am. I certainly have naught to complain about. I have things I hope for, but I do alright without them.
I think that if I could give a sticker to one of my nearest and dearest friends it would be "elated". She is, for the first time since meeting her current love, talking about marriage. In fact, there is some scoping of potential marriage locales going on next month. I am unfailingly happy for her, I love her and (from what I know of him) I love him too. They are a perfect and complementary match and they help to restore my faith in what a loving relationship should be.
I wonder if I can find the sticker guy. Can I exchange my sticker? Does he have one that says, "temporary happiness that doesn't linger because he has an early meeting?". Ah yes. This is me. Being well.

No comments: