"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, November 16, 2007

The day that would not end







I woke up a little after six today and convinced myself I wasn't prepared. Got up a little after seven, ran around the apartment in a tizzy, essentially re-checking the things that I had checked the day before. Conducive!
My mom came at ten for a brief visit. She just about had a coronary when the movers arrived. Let's just say they looked a little sketchy. But I give two solid thumbs up to Vancity Movers. They showed up on time, were very efficient and had me moved from Kerrisdale to North Vancouver in about three hours for under $400. Best $400 bucks EVER.
Michael met me at the condo and helped me unpack and then somehow we ended up at home depot at 5pm. He loves projects. He was quite exuberant about putting shelving in my bedroom closet. Oh, the other thing he did? Changed my deadbolt - it didn't work! So the entire time that we were cavorting around Home Depot (okay, perhaps cavorting is too exuberant a word: I was alternating between wanting to scream and wanting to fall asleep on a pallet jack) the door to my apartment wasn't locked. Cause the day hadn't been stressful enough, apparently.
I think I'm about 70%. I still have some boxes to unload and a bookshelf to assemble. Need to pick up some stuff from Ikea tomorrow. Yep, it'll be my once-every-three-years-trip-to-Ikea where I try and sedate myself before going and try to beg off so I can go play in the ball pit. Do they still have the ball pit? God, I hope so.
But here I am. In Central Lonsdale. Holy shit, eh? It's quiet. I can control the temperature. I loaded things into my dishwasher (remind me to get dishwasher detergent for it). I may do some in suite laundry tomorrow. My back is killing me so I might have a glass of wine and relax in my soaker tub.
And yes. As you can plainly see: the couch fit. It took some doing and at one point I thought, "Well, I hope Michael enjoys his new expensive couch", but they did it! All that worrying for nothing. As per usual.
A lot of people have been asking me if I was excited to move. I think they didn't get why I wasn't happier and running around in circles chasing my tail. It's because I'm a delayed gratification kind of girl. Once everything is in place, once all the work is done, once the final twist of the screw is applied, once the last picture is hung, that's when I will sit back and be absolutely and blissfully ecstatic. Right now I am happy and relieved. And still quite intimidated by my microwave. It's a sexy beast. I bought stainless steel and laminate floor cleaner today at Home Depot. I just wasn't quite yuppy enough to partake of the in-store Starbucks while doing so.
Lastly: I would like to have a nice housewarming soiree next weekend and you're all invited. I'm thinking Saturday afternoon/evening? Some appies, some drinks, some board games? It's not that far!

No comments: