"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Toasty

Okay. Two more things that are kind of cool. One: I've loaded up my dishwasher and I need to get some detergent. But... I have things in my dishwasher! I got rid of my old dish rack because I can put things in my dishwasher!
Second, I just popped my head into my (disastrous) bedroom and it's all toasty warm. Why? Because it has a separate thermostat from the rest of the place. I. Can. Control. The. Temperature. I have not been able to do that in seven years. Super cool! Until I get the electric bill, I realize. But this is me, and what excites me at 1am on a Saturday night.
I said to Michael as we pulled out of Home Depot on our way to Ikea this evening: "I realize now that I am thirty years old", to which he responded, "Why?". Because my Saturday night consisted of a trip to Home Depot and Ikea, that's why. Because I spent the most ridiculous amount of time obsessing over the carpet for my living room. Because I'm all of a sudden innately concerned with color schemes. Because you have to take your shoes off when you come into my place. Because I noticed that the black laquer and the dark brown wood on my new bar stools matched my galaxy granite counter top. Because my mom called me today to go through a bunch of keep/chuck stuff and she was like, "A Guns 'N Roses poster?" chuck it. "A Barney Bentall poster?" chuck it (but only because I didn't have the balls to ask him to sign it when I saw him LIVE at the Funky Planet ten years ago and it was awesome). "Your CGA books-" chuck it. And I'm liking the k.d. lang stuff I've downloaded. And Lisa Loeb. And Muddy Waters. And Neil Young. Yep. And I can't handle shit beer and Michael pointed out that I might need a wine fridge. But we still grossly exceeded the speed limit back to North Van and we were listening to Thievery Corporation, so I still retain some residual of coolness. Right? Right?? You've seen my rhinestone glasses, yes?

No comments: