"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, November 8, 2007

A sense of calm prevails

Alright. So the issue at work is ongoing. Like M says, I’m not to sweat the small stuff. It’s all irrelevant and who really gives a shit. Not me. And Michael sent me the token email that we send to one another when our outlook is sufficiently dour: “Hang in there, kitty”. This is, of course, a nod to the Simpsons’ episode where we see the infamous “Hang in there, baby” poster showcasing a dangling kitty in Ned Flanders’ rec room. And it just gives you that great, kitschy image and you realize that nothing is all that bad, tomorrow will bring a new day and that, at some point, someone thought it would be cute to hang a kitten from something and to write “Hang in there, baby” on it.
And even though I really need to do laundry, and I couldn’t get one of the screws out of the wall in my bedroom last night (insert screwing in bedroom joke here), and I took down one set of blinds and I can’t get them back up again, and there are boxes everywhere, and my apartment is like a sauna and I spent last night getting covered in grime and bleach trying to wrangle with the other two sets of blinds in my bathtub (hey – you come up with a better solution!), and I finished “Tess of the d’Urbervilles” (I won’t tell you what happened but I strongly encourage all of you to read this book: it was just absolutely amazing) and was quite saddened, I am still in a good mood.
And oh, I just got skyped by a coworker who said that if I can get his expenses to him by the 13th he will name that day in my honor. So I’ve got that going on. It has a nice ring to it. “Happy T- R- Day!”. “Happy Duder Day!”. Oh, now I like that.

No comments: