"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, November 8, 2007

This is why I'm happy


Because I am never too far from a coffee with a coworker, an email from a friend, dinner with co-conspirators or a phone call from a member of my inner circle. It's good to be me. I work with, and am friends with, such cool people. How did this happen? I feel like they're going to put all the pieces together one day. Hmmm... she's a bookkeeper, she's not that funny, she's gaining weight, she can't run very fast any more and I hear she's caved, gotten cable and watches a lot of reality t.v. now: imposter! Let us not allow her to hang out in our midst any longer!
Met up with Po and N for dinner at the Kingston tonight. Ah, N is the last of us to retain a boyfriend. Good for her. They are possibly going to Victoria for the weekend which I think is romantic regardless of the rain. Actually, I'm not even sure if it is going to rain this weekend. Po is going to visit her brother in Seattle. Then I mused out loud, "What am I going to do this weekend?" to which Po yelled, "You're packing! You've got a lot of packing to do! Get packing!". Okay! Holy shit. Maybe, at the rate I'm currently going, I won't be fully packed until 2008. Maybe I need to step it up a notch. Bleh. Who likes packing? Ruffling through the remnants of my life and remembering random things: my brother fixing the brakes on my Supra for my birthday; the bullet holes in the sign at Pompino Beach; coming in 3rd place for my age group at the Sandcastle 10k not because I was fast, but because essentially no one else in my age group showed up; Bard on the Beach (x2); the Happy 16th birthday card Po made for me (I've kept it for 14 years!); Blue Rodeo this summer (in my winter jacket, of course); graduating; seeing the big tree in the Alcan commercial first hand (and being unnecessarily nervous about bears); my trip to Loon Lake with my second "major" boyfriend Rob; contemplating buying a condo in Fairhaven, Bellingham (look, I really, really like Fairhaven, okay?); nearly burning down one of the Finnerties; the letters my dad wrote me from Lasqueti when we weren't communicating so well; the death of both my grandfathers; Blackie; photography; Vegas; L's stagette downtown; gay pride.
Ah. I love my life. I love all the people in my life that enable me to have these wondrous experiences. I hope I have been half the friend, sister, daughter, girlfriend to these people as they have been so, so much to me.
Holy sappy, Batman! Tomorrow I'll be angry about something again. I'm sure of it.

No comments: