"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My "favourite" holiday of the year

I suppose my "favourite" day of the year is Valentine's Day. Those that know me know my feelings on the day and everything that surrounds it. Fucking stupid day. But a close second would be New Year's Eve. Overwrought, expensive, phony waste of time. Here is an except from last year's blog describing New Year's 2006:

"We counted down the final seconds of 2006, wondrous as it was, and then raised our glasses to herald in the new year. Six seconds later I said, "Well that was anticlimactic".

I'm going somewhere with this, I promise. I just watched a movie called "200 Cigarettes". It was awesome. It takes place on New Year's eve and basically follows a bunch of twentyish single people who are trying to hook up before the night is out. Essentially it taps into every bad/good date you've had, all your neuroses, all the stupid/fantastic opportunities that you took/let slip through your fingers. And brings the concept of sex in public washrooms into play. Me personally? Um, no, that doesn't seem pleasant even if you are Paul Rudd. I'd consider Jim Halpert from "The Office" though, have you seen his GAP ad? Seriously, who am I? A couple of years ago you would've had to force me into the GAP at gunpoint. What? They have good sales occasionally. Shut up. Get your own fantasy.
So this movie contained Ben Affleck, Casey Affleck, Janine Garofalo, Nina Ricca, Paul Rudd, Courtney Love, Kate Hudson, Elvis Costello, Dave Chappelle... it was great. Not great as in Oscar great, but great as in wow, I've been there... and there... and I've been there and I've felt that way, and also that way. Yeah. So pretty funny.
Hey, guess what? New Year's is coming up again. I do so hope that I'll have something a little more illuminating to say to the people around me this year when the clock strikes midnight. I'm sure I will. It will likely be one of the following:
"So that was great. Who wants to share a cab?"
"Please take your hand off my ass."
"Please put your hand on my ass."
"What? Why are you calling? I was sleeping."
Surely, I jest.
Stop calling me Shirley.

No comments: