"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What in the hell was that!?

Arrived for the 6:30 clinic and wasn't sure what to expect. The Running Room clinic for the Vancouver Marathon doesn't start until the beginning of January, so I was surprised that this clinic was running hills already. It was a big clinic. There was a naturopathic doctor that spoke about cleanses, but she lost everyone when she told them they had to give up alcohol. Runners like their beer.
And then we did hills. Six of them. And it was a brutal hill. Oh - this was after we did something called a "warm up". The "warm up" came after we ran a mile to get... warmed up? Hills one and two were good. I crested the remainder feeling like I was going to puke, but didn't let up. Okay, maybe I let up a little bit - what? I haven't run in over a month!
Then a mile back to the store and more exercises! I was doing frickin' push ups at 8pm on the sidewalk on Lonsdale Avenue. And lunges. And something called "fast feet" which is funny until the burning sensation creeps in.
I was like, "What in the hell is this?". Warm ups. Cool downs. When do we get the group hug and a chance to talk about our feelings. Someone yelled, "Pick up cigarette butts with your teeth!" as we were doing push ups. I started to cry. I think next week we are running up Grouse Mountain in snow shoes and taking turns carrying the smallest people in the group on our backs. These guys aren't messing around.
On the plus side: I figured out where all my extra time was coming from. And now it's all gone.
And the final kick in the teeth? These guys do their long slow runs at 8am, not 8:30.
For the love of...

No comments: