"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Dishwashers kick ass

I love them. They are sleek and sexy. One minute you have an insurmountable number of dishes, the next you don't. Saucy.
Tomorrow's forecast calls for wet snow. I think I am going to call for more sunny blue skies. In fact, I think I am going to go out shortly and start wandering the streets calling "more sunny blue skies, please".
I can't be any less irritating than the guy that tried to convert me to the Church of somethingorother a couple of days ago. I started to just shake my head and do the "no, thanks" shuffle and then I thought, no: this guy is actively recruiting me, soliciting me against my will and trying to sell me something that I don't subscribe to. So I stopped, looked him square in the face and said, "No. I'm atheist". He seemed to accept it and from my resolute determination was able to deduce that I could not be swayed, and fell back to heckle someone else.
But now I question my commitment to atheism. Am I really atheist? I think I might believe in something, but I'm not entirely sure what that might be. It has to do with karma, coincidence, luck and trying to be good. It involves worshipping a false, stainless steel Whirlpool appliance.

No comments: