"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Owwwwww


That was the most physically painful experience of my life. I anticipated that I would hurt after the run, but I didn't realize that, say, I wouldn't be able to walk for a couple of days. Or that I would have to descend stairs one at a time like a small child. The four blocks from the end of the marathon to the car? Absolutely the longest four blocks I've ever had to walk. If a bear had been at the end of the race, salivating and intent on eating me I would've just acquiesced because I had nothing left. What would I have said to the bear? I would've said "eat me". But I say that to a lot of people at the best of times.
The low points of the race would have been: seeing the 3 hour 30 minute pace bunny get further and further away from me; a knee injury; having to stop and sit down, remove my shoe and re-bandage my toe after a gigantic blister burst (and then having to run another 10k); knowing I had to hustle to get in by the 3:40 time to qualify for Boston, but being unable to move at more than a fast-paced shuffle.
The high points would have been: catching the 3:45 pace bunny and passing her; running a PB 10k; being able to keep up with Michael for the first 22k; realizing that - injuries aside - there was a good chance I could qualify for Boston; crossing the finish line and being able to put all the pain and training behind me. Or so I thought. Then we had the fun experience of being really pained and exhausted but not being able to sit down (you have to keep moving), so we joined the ranks of other marathoners that were dazedly wandering about the grass field trying to disperse the build up of lactic acid everywhere. We basically would amble in the direction of whatever gentle slope existed since any uphill movement was entirely out of the question.
But it is done. We did it. Michael finished with a 3:30 time which was absolutely fantastic. I finished 9 minutes behind him and have the opportunity to go to Boston now.
Anyone feel like some chowdah?