"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Unhealthy

Look. I need to fixate on something. Boston appears to be down the tubes, so I will fixate on the couch. I emailed my realtor to give me more exacting measurements of the doorframe. Hey: I know you tuned out two postings ago, but this is what is causing major consternation in my life, alright? I'll let you know when the excitement level in my life jumps up a notch. Like say, if someone accidentally brushes against me on the bus, or a guy smiles at me (though he's really smiling at the girl - or, more likely, guy - standing behind me). So shut up. Back to my realtor. She's like "fuck off, I'm going to Phoenix. If your couch doesn't fit, put it in your parking stall and sell it on Craigslist". Thank you, so much. I'll have a $1,600 thing to ram my car into when I come back from... wherever it is I will be driving to in North Van.
So I call my mom. I will interject here that I haven't been sleeping nights, for a plethora of reasons, none of which involve anything good (otherwise I wouldn't be blogging about couch dimensions). I'm a little cranky. A little irritable. But overall, having a good hair day. My mom's like, "do you have the number of anyone on the strata?" and oh! lo and behold, the VP of the council had given me his number. So I wring my hands and lament about calling him because the thought of making someone do any sort of work for me makes me cringe (see above conversation with my realtor). Then I call him. And he was so nice! And so helpful. My mom had said to me, scant minutes before, "a lot of people are nice, and are willing to do things to make your life easier". And he did. He measured the height and width of the door, advised me to take it off its hinges and, because he knows the layout of my suite, told me which way the couch should be angled to get around the corner into the living room. And that he had moved a sofa bed into his place and it's tight, but it can be done. Also? The dimensions were more generous than those that Shecky lobbed at me last night. I knew they would be. So I think it'll take some doing but I think, providing my movers have you know, moved couches many times before, that with a little squeezing and maneuvering and with me dancing around, writhing and whingeing (I hear that helps in all matters of importance), the couch should fit.
If it does not, my coworker M is going to help me winch it up to my 10th floor balcony under the cover of darkness. I think it's a well thought out plan with very little risk.

No comments: