"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Aunty Margaret

Every year I debate going to dinner with my father's side of the family (my father has not attended for some years now). Today I received a Christmas card from my aunt (his sister). She didn't write anything except "Love Aunty Margaret". Her handwriting is the same illegible scrawl as my father's.
How proud are we?
Who will really be there when you need them?
What are the necessary parameters that must be met to allow someone into your life?
Margaret lives in Deep Cove and I look forward to seeing her more often in the New Year.

No comments: