"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Monday, December 10, 2007

Full of piss and vinegar

I know better. Why did I start watching the Al Franken documentary so late? Oh. Oh. Anne Coulter. Tucker Carlson. Bill O'Reilly. I called Michael about halfway through and I couldn't string a sentence together: I made a series of inarticulate grunts. Then, when I could use my big girl worlds, I screamed, "If the Dems don't get in I'm leaving the country!". I don't even live in the States. I'm this worked up and I live in North Vancouver: can you imagine being a staunch liberal in the US over the past four or eight years? My heart goes out to them.
Okay. I could blog until 2am about this movie and about the Republicans, the right wing media, Fox, Rupert Murdoch and the way that the idea of independent journalism has been roughly hijacked and has been replaced by a bunch of vicious, vitriol-spewing people more intent on ensuring that news reporting is not fair and balanced, while constantly pulling "facts" out of their ass. But I'm trying to lower my blood pressure, and it's too late in the evening for an angry letter to Bill O'Reilly. Or a second letter to George Bush.
Watch the movie "Al Franken: God Spoke". Don't take my word that it's good: it was a Tribeca Film Festival Official Selection.
Here is a scene from the movie, after Al Franken announces that he is going to run for senate in 2008. Bill O'Reilly (during his commentary) says that Franken is a "vile smear merchant", while on screen the bullet points read "Franken makes money defaming people. He also may have serious emotional problems".
Did anyone ever see when O'Reilly came on David Letterman's show and Letterman called him a "bonehead"? I needed a cigarette after that.
Trying to calm down. Al Franken could be in the senate in 2008! How cool would that be? Gosh darn it, people like him.

No comments: