"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"Now there is nothing to do but get old and die."

That's what Po said to me today. I shall keep this blog and remind her of it often. I won't wax poetic about her artistic talent or the fact that she is a published author with another book on the way. Nor will I examine her trip (and subsequent long term stay) to Australia, a trip which she made because of love. She knows there is much, much more to do. There are more trips to make, more books to write, more love affairs to be had and a lot more wine to be drunk. Moreover? She needs to stick around and be my friend and we all know that that's a full time and very involved job.
I am happy today. I am glad N got the job, that Po is doing well, that Big D is going on a blind date, that I get to run (SEVEN) hills with Michael tonight, that C had a good time on his cruise (and will make it over to see me.... eventually) and that I will see L for dinner at the Cheshire Cheese in my old stomping grounds this weekend.
So much to do throughout this blasted aging process!

No comments: