"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, December 7, 2007

I did not get away with it

Maintained a low profile on the 5th and 6th. When my boss asked what I was doing on the weekend I said, "Not much. Seeing some family and friends". And yet, because of modern technology (calendar pop ups), the powers that be were alerted. And put pink balloons in my office. And bought cake and emailed and skyped and (blessedly) told me that I looked 27. And offered to hoist me on their shoulders and carry me around the office (I secretly wanted to say yes).
It was nice, all that excitement. Being made to feel special is enjoyable.
So is cake.

No comments: