"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Come to me

Checked the status of Michael's flight and it had been delayed a couple of times. Went to bed around 8:30am and got up around 2 or 3pm. I haven't done such a thing in years. Once, when I was madly infatuated with a boy when I was eighteen years old, I stayed out until almost dawn and slept until 4pm the next day. In retrospect he was not worth it. I wish I could have advised myself that I was surely deserved of so much more, but what do you know when you're eighteen? Ha! What do you know when you're twenty-three or twenty-eight for that matter.
I finished "Play It As It Lays". I will have to make notes on it. It was strangely detached, surreal, disjointed and sad. A question has come to my mind over the last while: when did sex become so meaningless? There is a train of thought here: in Tess of the D'Urbervilles and in Sons and Lovers the act of courting someone, holding their hand, reading poetry to them, taking walks with them is called "lovemaking". I don't mean to romanticize that particular time in history - I realize that sex was supposed to be solely for procreation and that it was something that women endured rather than enjoyed, but I'm not sure that what sex has become (no, that's not right: what we now think is acceptable as sex, how we view and treat sex) is a good or noble thing. Sometimes it's a cheap commodity. Or are the people who allow it to be that the cheap commodities themselves? At any rate, the "lovemaking" in this book was sad and disturbing. It was like rote masturbation which involved another person, whose name you may or may not know. Though, from reading it, it seems that sole masturbation would have been much more pleasurable.
In other news, I'm still wearing pajamas. I don't know if I will bother to shower. I have to return the Simpsons movie. Michael called around noon to tell me that his plane had sat on the tarmac for close to three hours because they had to de-ice and that he was touched that I had been able to sleep past nine thirty (at which time he was due to be at his mother's house, and at which time I was expecting a call to let me know that he had arrived safely). They also lost his luggage.
I advised him to have a nap.
I am going to listen to music, read, write, drink wine, eat tapas, maybe do some sudoku (oh, how it enrages me) and possibly play with the flashy Rubix cube I got at the Christmas party. Then I will watch more Curb Your Enthusiasm.
I may blog later to tell you how it's all working out for me.

No comments: