"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Friday, December 28, 2007

Do you want a little egg with your wine?

I drink wine (who knew?). I also have a book where I record the majority of the wines that I drink, make tasting notes and rate them. I like to copy down the description that the vintner puts on the label and then write my own review beneath, so when the winery says, "this wine has earthy tones, with hints of tobacco and leather" I can juxtapose it with, "assy, with an undertone of ass".
I digress. In studying the label of my latest wine (a 2004 Australian Shiraz/Cabernet Sauvignon blend by Langhorne Crossing) it gave the usual disclaimer: "This wine contains sulfites". It also contains egg whites. That's what it says. It says that on the bottle. I researched it and apparently egg whites are used to clarify the wine and reduce harsh tannins. So yeah. I guess you learn something new every day.
Am I supposed to have toast with this?

No comments: