"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I belong!

N, Po and I had our inaugural book meeting tonight. We came up with some ground rules and - most important - a name! We are the Illiterates. N was unsure of the spelling. Too perfect. We are accepting members and are thinking we'd like a group of around eight people, so if you like reading and are available at 7pm on the third Wednesday of every month (and can read a book a month, mind you) then put forth your membership bid and I shall black ball you!
It was a fun night. We looked up ground rules for book clubs on the net and one of the rules was to not go off on too many tangents. Since it was our first meeting and we hadn't yet read a book we went off on all kinds of tangents: dating avenues; sex toys; the possibility of a wine club (just guess who came up with that one); dreams; work; dishwashers... yeah. Then we had cookies and tarts and Po's cat attempted to fly through the sliding glass door.
Gave N a lift home. She gave me a couple of teabags (no, not a sexual reference) and all the way home I kept on thinking, "Well that smells delectable" because I had put them in the inner pocket of my winter jacket which had a hood affixed to it which was bad because I was also wearing a hoodie so my head was really kind of jutted forward due to all the excess padding.
I was drinking tea all night, and I'm not convinced that it was as caffeine-free as the packaging indicated.
Possible tea club?
First book: Joan Didion's "Play It As It Lays".

No comments: