"What I want to say is this: - If you logically try to persuade a person that there is no absolute reason for shedding tears, the person in question will cease weeping. That's self evident. Why, I should like to know, should such a person continue doing so?"

"If such were the usual course of things, life would be a very easy matter," replied Raskolnikoff.

- Crime and Punishment, Dostoevsky

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Truthiness

Perhaps I haven't been entirely honest with my blog as of late. But I haven't specifically lied. And if you had (and many of you have) asked me a direct question on the subject, I would have dodged and weaved with the voracity of a Republican faced with an untoward sex scandal.
I guess that after a year of: telephone conversations meeting or exceeding an hour; wine; dinners; flowers; lengthy conversations over coffee at a myriad of places dotting the Vancouver landscape; offering to cash out GICs so I can make the down payment on my condo; driving me and Po to the BC Ferry depot to go on a trip on which he was not invited; installing shelving; mounting my television; always returning my car with the gas tank full; bringing me coffee in the morning after my first night in my new digs because he knew that I didn't have anything unpacked; downplaying his own marathon time to tout mine because I made Boston even though I was nine minutes slower than him; and staying out late on a work night (during which he was on call) to attend my Christmas party (after noticing the button detail on my dress which was really the only reason that I bought it), after all of these things that I might just feel compelled to confess that I'm just a little bit enamoured of my ex-boyfriend.
So yeah. Hands up: all you people that are surprised. Anyone? Anyone at all?
Alright. I'm not sure what exactly to do at this junction. I guess I will have to try hard to ingratiate myself back into his life in a romantic sense. This would involve using my feminine wiles (I have none) and my sexuality (hey, did you check out my plaid pants, sweater and loafers today?). This could take some doin'.
Yeah. I'm not sure that anyone else shares my love of CBC, Upstart Crow books, Waves coffee, incredibly long and meandering walks, animated debates about tasers, the environment, politics, current events and everything in between and is, as somewhat of a non drinker, willing to be coerced into wine tasting with me, allows himself to be subjected to me quoting passages from whatever book is currently moving me, enjoys foreign films and gives me a figurative high five every time I achieve another step in my quest to be a more calm and positive force in the world. I've never had a bigger cheerleader in my life than Michael.
And he has a toolbox. And that's fucking sexy.

No comments: